Paying for College

Work Study Programs

The Federal Work-Study program provides part-time jobs for students with financial need to help them pay for their undergraduate and/or graduate education. The program focuses on helping students find a job that's related to their area of study and/or find work in their own community. Contact the financial aid office at the college you'll be attending to see what work-study programs are available. These may be jobs on campus or through private employers. Some work-study positions will be related to your field of study, while others are community service positions.

To see if you qualify for a job through the Federal Work-Study program, fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and request work-study opportunities. Once you've been approved for a work-study program, your school will have its own procedure for hiring. Most schools will email you a list of available jobs, along with instructions for applying.