How to get financial aid
Paying for college doesn’t have to be so complicated. Here are five tips to help you save money for college.
- Talk to a financial aid counselor. Ask your guidance counselor for advice on finding a financial aid counselor. There may be organizations in your community who work with students to help them find the best option to pay for college.
- Get help from the college you’d like to attend. Their financial aid staff wants to help you. They’re a great source for information about financial aid.
- Look to the government first. Financial aid through the federal government is usually the first and best choice. Visit finaid.org to learn more about the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Be sure to fill out the application every year.
- Invest time in applying for scholarships. There are millions of dollars in scholarships available to students every year. You don’t have to be an A student to receive scholarships. There are scholarship awards given for all kinds of reasons, such as your career interests, extracurricular activities, minority status, financial need, and more.
- Take advantage of discounts. Ask the college you’re planning to apply to if they offer any discounted or free waivers. Some schools will discount your tuition if you pay early, while others will waive fees for students based on their financial need.