Paying for College


There are many grants available from the federal and state government as well as individual colleges and employers.

Federal grants

The most common federal grants include:

  • Pell Grants are for undergraduate students
  • The Academic Competitiveness Grant for college freshmen and sophomores who are eligible for Pell grants and also took rigorous classes in high school
  • The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant for undergraduate students with exceptional financial need
  • The National Science & Mathematics Access to Retain Talent Grant for college juniors and seniors who are eligible for Pell Grants, GPS of 3.0 in their major, and who are majoring in math, technology, engineering, a foreign language necessary for national security, or physical, life, or computer sciences
  • The Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education Grant for students who plan to teach in schools for low-income students

To see if you qualify for one or more of the above federal grant programs, fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

State grants

States offer financial assistance to various types of students, including minority and low income students. You may also be eligible for state financial aid if you're pursuing a field of study such as nursing or teaching that's in high demand. Often states will pay for college tuition in exchange for an agreement to work for the state in an underserved area.

Non-governmental grants

Check with admissions reps at colleges of interest, as well as your employer and your parent's employer about grants they may offer.